January 30, 2009 1:00 am
We went to see the Eagles last night and had a blast. It was great to be childless and rock out to some of my favorite tunes. That being said, I’m old. The show ended around 11:30 and I was struggling to keep my eyes open. There were people twice my age who were jumping around and dancing and I was pretty embarrassed at my lack of energy.
I grew up on The Eagles, they’re the ultimate singalong band. Even after all of these years, they still sounded incredible. Although I was struggling, we made it to the end and were rewarded when they played two of my favorites for the finale, “Desperado” and “Take it Easy”. It was perfect.
Enough about the show. Although I enjoyed it immensely, the people watching was even more enjoyable. A few of the standouts include:
- The Hair: This is the lady sitting directly to my right who had hair bigger than the biggest Tammy Faye Baker do. Her hair was clearly infringing on my territory by crossing the border between our seats but she didn’t seem to notice. When the show started, she leaned all the way forward in her seat so that the hair completly blocked my view. I had to lean forward even further, partially blocking Jamie’s view.
- Guitar Man: The older couple in front of us was nice looking and didn’t cause any disruption. Well, except for the fact that he was playing air guitar on his wife’s back the entire show. She didn’t seem to mind but I couldn’t help but notice how well he kept up with the riffs.
- The Dancing Queen: We sat in the lower section to the right of the stage and everyone remained seated for the duration of the show. Everyone, except the Dancing Queen who danced her pretty little heart out for the ENTIRE show. DQ was approximately in her 50’s and looked a little bit Stepfordish. She appeared to be loaded and just danced the night away, completely unaware that she was blocking the view for several people (who had paid over $200/ticket).
- Dancing Queen’s Nemesis: The man located in the row behind DQ who was sick of her shit and decided to tell her to sit the fuck down. DQ got miffed but obliged. For two songs. Then DQ prevailed and hopped back up and started shaking her ass once more. During the intermission, DQ’s husband and DQ’s nemesis had a battle of words, but I was checking in with the babysitter so I only caught the first half. Apparently, DQ won since she danced for the entire second half of the show.
- Woo Girls: The girls sitting directly behind us who frequently left to get more beer. Every time a song they recognized came on, they would scream “Woooooooooooooooo, OMG, I LOVE this song!!!” and promptly shout the lyrics to the entire thing. If anyone has seen the episode of How I Met Your Mother with the Woo Girls in it, you know what I’m talking about.
- Texting Bored Out Of Her Mind Girl: This girl was in her late teens and was obviously dragged to the show by her parents. She had no interest in The Eagles and spent the entire time (in a very expensive seat) texting.
- Drunken Asshole: This is the guy who got into it with the poor usher because the usher told him he couldn’t smoke and had to go to the designated area. Instead of walking a hundred more feet, DA decided that he needed to get in the usher’s face and start screaming at him.
I’m still sick, so I went to the show with only a smidgen of my voice left but came home without one. I tried not to sing along but I just couldn’t help it. It’s The Eagles, man. The greatest singalong band in history. Next up is Billy Joel and Elton John in March. I’m sure to lose my voice again next time.