November 21, 2008 7:00 am
Today marks my hundredth post. Woo hoo! Here’s to a hundred more and all that sentimental stuff. In keeping with the theme of other people’s big milestones, I’m going to share a hundred potentially interesting facts about myself. These are in no particular order and are probably going to drag on so feel free to skip past the boring parts.
Also, in sharing these facts I’ll be killing several virtual birds with one bloggy stone since I’ve been tagged and awarded and meme’ed like a two dollar whore and haven’t gotten around to doing them all just yet. Read my list of facts and the shiny awards are all at the bottom. I had to leave something pretty down there to keep you entertained. And by down there, I don’t mean “down there,” you pervs. I did once have a pair of underwear with sparkles on them so I guess.. well, never mind. I don’t like where this is headed.
1. I have two red couches in my living room and they don’t match (one is a leather love seat and the other is a Pottery Barn one that’s faded and needs to be replaced).
2. I obsessively check to see if I have new comments. I think it’s an addiction… when I’m playing with the kids, I run over every so often and check before we move on to the next activity.
3. I played hockey with Jamie on a coed adult league the year before I got married.
4. We also played soccer on a company recreational league.
5. I have three cats who my parents now own. I intended on taking them with me when I moved out but my mom was SO emotional that I left them for a little longer. That turned into five years so I guess they’re not my cats anymore.
6. I’m a dog person now.
7. I chew on my left pointer finger when I’m stressed out. Gross, right? The skin is rough on that finger and I can’t break the habit.
8. I raced BMX from the time I was five through seventeen. I used to travel the country racing and I was pretty fucking good at it.
9. I grew up in FL but spent every summer with my Grandma in NY. She was my all time favorite person and I miss her every day.
10. I have a terrible sense of balance and clip my shoulder when I walk through doorways. I’m always covered in bruises from running into things. This makes it scary to carry a baby, I walk with my elbows bent and my arms spread wide to catch any doors or walls so Elliot’s head isn’t the target. Yes, I’m weird.
11. Jamie and I finish each other’s thoughts in the cheesiest way imaginable.
12. I have several head statues in my house, mostly from Ikea or Pier One.
13. I don’t cook. Jamie does all the cooking in our house. Sometimes I’ll make something easy like spaghetti or microwave something but he’s the master. Oh, and I can order a pizza online like nobody’s business.
14. I’m way too nice to service people and also tip way too much in restaurants. Even if I get bad service.
15. I would prefer McDonalds over a fancy steak dinner any day of the week.
16. This fact makes Jamie sad and he has banned me from ever going for a nice steak with him again. I should ban him from McDonalds.
17. I didn’t play school sports because I was afraid of doctors and wouldn’t get a physical.
18. I was one of the fastest female runners in middle school and the track coach begged me daily to sign up.
19. I hated pregnancy but love my kids.
20. I spend at least an hour every night trying to get comfortable in bed.
21. After that hour, I ALWAYS end up on my left side with a pillow between my knees and another in my arms. Also, one for my head. Oh, and I still sleep with a teddy bear. I swore I’d never admit that in my blog but there you have it. Mock away.
22. I have to sleep with a blanket, fully covered, even if I’m hot because I can’t stand the thought of someone grabbing my exposed feet (Mrs Bear is the same way. I know this because she wrote it in a Meme once, not because I look in her window to see her sleeping position).
23. I’m not a fan of other parents (IRL, you guys are fine). In my short experience as a parent, other people’s kids have posed an issue when they bully my kid while their asshole parents sit there and do nothing. Also? Don’t bring your sick kid to the playground to spread the plague. Asshats.
24. I’m not good in a social situation but you might not know it. I tend to be way too outgoing and am somehow the life of the party but I’m dying on the inside.
25. We bought an HP laser printer awhile back and it’s one of my all time favorite purchases.
26. I’m the only one in my family to graduate from college. My parents and brothers never went.
27. I’m the youngest of three and the only girl. Can you say tomboy?
28. I don’t have a middle name but both of my brothers do. Guess who the least favorite kid is? My mom claims nothing goes with Casey but I know better.
29. Jamie and I went on a company deep sea fishing trip before we knew each other and I had my eye on him from across the boat. I told my boss Jamie was hot and my boss was like “that dude?” Yes, that dude. We both got a big kick out of the rod locker on the boat. Heh, rod locker.
30. I’ve skipped school twice in my life. College is a different story.
31. There was a bar on campus at college so I used to skip with a friend and get wasted. I went swimming in the school fountain while wasted and then went to class dripping wet and still drunk.
32. I hate the term “hubby”. I have resigned myself to the fact that everyone else loves the word so feel free to use it in my comments. I’ll translate it to mean “husband”. Before I started blogging, I used to CRINGE when people used it but now I only feel slightly annoyed by it. I can’t tell you why I hate it. I also hate the word “panties”.
33. My DVR controls my life. We don’t watch any live TV, everything is recorded. We recently bought a 500 gig external hard drive for it since it gets full so fast.
34. I own lots of shoes but zero pairs of heels. Mostly unused tennis shoes and flip flops. Of those shoes, I probably only wear three pairs on a regular basis.
35. I drive to my mailbox, which is at the end of my driveway. I don’t get in the car just for the purpose of driving to the mailbox but I’ll swing by it on my way to or from someplace. That hundred feet might kill me to walk.
36. We stockpile 12 packs of soda whenever it goes on sale (4th of July, Memorial Day) and have an entire shelf in the garage dedicated to soda storage.
37. I rarely sleep since I’m always afraid someone is going to break into our house and steal my kids.
38. I miss the single life but I wouldn’t trade it for anything when I hear my kids laugh or cuddle up next to Jamie.
39. I get frustrated easily and sometimes snap at Jamie for no apparent reason.
40. I have a strange fascination with Ikea and we don’t have them here. I’ve been waiting forever and they’re finally opening one in Tampa next year.
41. I hate shopping for clothes. Jamie encourages me to shop as much as I want but I just don’t enjoy it. He likes that I’m cheap and hate shopping.
42. Jamie watches Battlestar Gallactica, Doctor Who and Babylon 5. I make fun of him for it but I did try watching Doctor Who. I loved the previous Doctor but when they changed, I felt betrayed and stopped watching. I know it’s part of the show’s charm but I refuse to get on board with them changing the Doctor every so often so I won’t watch it anymore.
43. Jamie and I sometimes IM each other when we sit in the same room and play on our computers. It’s easier than opening our mouths, I guess.
44. I’ve never cheated on anyone I’ve dated, but I’ve been cheated on (but not by Jamie).
45. When Jamie and I began dating, we hashed things out adult style. No cheating, no faking the relationship. No guest stars and no guest starring. I’ve never lied to him and vice versa. It’s just easier that way.
46. I miss working for the sense of importance and adult interaction. But blogging has filled that void.
47. I recently cut about thirty blogs out of my reader because it pissed me off that I always read and commented on their sites but they never even came to mine.
48. I feel bad for doing that.
49. I love mirrors. Not to look at myself in them, oh no. I love cool little decorative ones to hang on the wall. These days the mirrors are all in the garage since Mr. Grabby toddler tries to pull them down.
50. I sometimes feel like a horrible parent when I complain about how tough chasing Graham is.
51. I live in FL and have a fireplace. We even light fires in it a few times a year (but not when the kids are awake).
52. My dad isn’t my biological dad but he’s raised me since I was born and he walked me down the aisle at my wedding.
53. He’s more of a father than most guys I know and my kids call him Grandpa (well, they will when they can talk).
54. My parents aren’t married. They never got around to it and it’s been thirty years. They keep saying they’re going to tie the knot but I doubt they ever will.
55. My mom is very crafty in a Martha Stewart kind of way.
56. I’m not.
57. I only have a few close friends IRL and they don’t regularly frequent the blog.
58. I have season tickets to the Bucs but we sell our seats because we don’t have a sitter.
59. We won the opportunity to buy SuperBowl tickets in the NFL lottery. We bought and we’re going. Woo hoo!
60. I hate basketball and baseball.
61. I love hockey. When the Lightning won the Stanley Cup, we paid a ridiculous amount of money and went to every single home game in the playoffs and finals.
62. Since having kids, my ability to watch and enjoy sporting events has dwindled and I feel guilty that I let my teams down. Weird, eh?
63. We own 1/3 of a lake house in PA. It was Jamie’s grandparent’s house and they left it to the grandkids when they passed away. Jamie, his brother and sister keep it for a vacation place although we haven’t been since Graham was six months old. It still has his Grandma’s furniture and knick knacks in it and I love it since it gives me a sense of Jamie’s childhood.
64. I hate the beach, but only because wearing a bathing suit just isn’t going to happen anytime soon. When I was thin, I loved the beach.
65. I want to move up north but would never move away from my family.
66. My parents, brothers and I are all a forty-five minute drive from each other so we only get together maybe once a month. With babies and schedules, it may as well be a three hour drive since it’s nearly impossible to make.
67. My first job was at Chick Fil-A when I turned fifteen. I worked there for three years and even got a college scholarship.
68. I’ve never been a “smoker” but I smoke when I drink.
69. My parents would kill me if they knew that. I’m still afraid of my parents. They don’t know about this blog or that I have a potty mouth. UPDATE: My mom may have stumbled on the blog this week but hasn’t said anything. If you’re reading: Hi Mom!
70. I don’t wear makeup, like ever. Well, maybe if I go to a wedding, I’ll put on eye shadow but that’s it.
71. Jamie encouraged me to start blogging because he thought I’d be good at it and enjoy it.
72. He’s my webmaster. Not because I can’t do it but because he likes installing plugins and upgrading my WordPress. I like it too, more time to read your blogs.
73. I have a low self-esteem in a lot of areas but Jamie makes me feel better.
74. My biological father was an abusive alcoholic asshole. My mom left him when I was born. Now he’s a born again Christian who tries to push religion on everyone he sees.
75. I don’t talk to the guy. I have nothing to say to him and don’t consider him my father. I told him this when I was eighteen (and my mom could no longer force me to see him).
76. He was at my brother’s wedding last year and found out that I’m married with kids. He confronted my brother and made him feel guilty on his wedding day.
77. We updated our wills shortly thereafter to make sure he doesn’t try to contact my children. I have a dad and it’s not him. Gee, daddy issues much?
78. My kids are growing up in a stable environment and will never want for anything.
79. This worries me because I still want them to learn responsibility like I did.
80. I used to use baby oil for suntan lotion when I was younger. My kids will never see the light of day without sunscreen.
81. I got my first pedicure the week before I got married. Since then, I go once every month an a half but I don’t let them do the massage part since I hate being touched.
82. I talk about my bloggy friends like they’re my friends in real life. Jamie laughs at me when I do it. I think he thinks it’s like having imaginary friends.
83. I changed the font color on today’s post to see if it hurt my eyes less to read. How about you?
84. I play drums. Well, not well and I haven’t played in forever. We sold my drum kit to make room for Graham’s nursery. Jamie plays too.
85. I learned to play drums as an “in your face” thing toward an ex who I dated for six years. He refused to teach me to play and mocked me when I tried to learn on my own.
86. I used to own a boat. My friend Jeff and I bought it seven years ago and it never ran. It sat in storage and we had it worked on here and there over the years until I finally sold it on ebay two years ago.
87. I got pulled over for reckless driving in VA and landed a court date out of it. That was four years ago and for some reason the points never transferred to my FL record. Phew. We were on a road trip to PA and it was 3AM and I was hauling ass to try to get there faster. I came up on a cop while I was doing 86 in a 65. He was not amused.
88. I don’t eat healthy by any means but I love vegetables. Junk is just easier and quicker.
89. I don’t eat seafood and refuse to eat anything that swims in its own shit. Yuck. Yes, I know livestock sits in poop but in my mind it’s somehow different. People often try to get me to try it and it pisses me off. If I snorted coke, would you be offended if I pushed it on you? Me too.
90. I order chicken almost everywhere I go and I’ll usually order the same item on the menu every time I visit a restaurant. We don’t eat out often so I go with what I know I like. This baffles people but I stick with what I like so I’m not disappointed.
91. I’ve never been west of Illinois. Also, Niagra Falls is the furthest I’ve been in Canada and going to the Bahamas was the only time I’ve ever needed my passport. UPDATE: DeeMarie informed me of my lack of Geography knowledge. Vegas is west of Illinois and I’ve been there several times. Duh! I guess I figured since I hopped a plane to get there it didn’t count?!?
92. Jamie and I always find stray dogs and reunite them with their owners. Last week, I found the cutest Great Dane puppy and was tempted to keep him but I knew someone would miss him so I tracked his owners down.
93. I’m a scheduling nut when it comes to my kids. I won’t leave the house if they need a nap. Jamie helps out a lot when he works from home since I can put Elliot down for a nap and run errands with Graham.
94. I brought in cabinet locks and baby proofed Gymboree. I was sick of chasing Graham out of the cupboards there so I took matters into my own hands. People looked at me like I was nuts but oh well.
95. I love to gamble. Specifically, slots. I’ve been to Vegas four times, Atlantic City three times, Biloxi once and my SIL lives five minutes from the biggest casino in the world (in CT). Of course, all but one of these gambling junkets happened before children.
96. I had to make myself stop reading the local news sites because I was freaked out about the crime rate in Tampa.
97. I have one pair of jeans that fit me at this time. I have other pairs that are too tight or too big but these are the only ones I wear. I’m not buying more until I lose weight and I usually wear them about three or four times before washing them. I only wear them when I leave the house. The instant we get home from anywhere, I change into boxers and a t-shirt and Jamie throws on comfy shorts. We’re slobs.
98. I do all of the lawn mowing around here. I love the riding mower and I mow full speed and look like a crazy person.
99. I don’t vacuum, Jamie does. I hate the sound of the vacuum and it makes me want to kill.
100. I have a tattoo in my nether region that I got when I was eighteen. It’s not very artistic and I wish it weren’t there since pregnancy has drastically changed the look of it. It’s a butterfly (how generic) and after two kids, the sucker looks like it’s trying to fly away. It didn’t originally look like that.
Holy crap, that was hard to type. I bet it was hard to read too, sorry about that! Now for the bling and Meme recognition:
The following awards were given to me by Lydia from On The Verge, Petra at The Wise Young Mommy, Keely at A Letter to Xander and The Un Mom (Keely gets around in the blog world), Cape Cod Girl from Diamond In The Rough and Jenni at Oscarelli. They didn’t each give me all of them but some of them overlap and I’m too tired to sort through them for your sake so here they are. I swear, you guys have to stop giving me awards because I don’t deserve them. I’ll take them though, don’t worry. I’ll take them and hoard them on my site and not share with ANYBODY. So there! Once again, the awarding stops here, I always feel bad singling out people and potentially accidentally leaving some other deserving schmuck out. I don’t like to make people feel bad so there. I need a niceness award. Oh, and I also got Meme tagged by Kirsty at My Life For The World To See. If you had asked me six months ago what a Meme tag was, I would have guessed someone was playing tag with the chick from Drew Carey.