October 15, 2008 10:16 pm
In case you haven’t heard by now, I was nominated to host an online diet and fitness group. Me, the girl who hits up McDonalds at least three times a week. Let me start by saying how happy I am to be hosting this challenge. Who am I kidding, that’s a load of crap. I hate working out, I hate dieting and I lack the time and willpower for both. But you guys are probably all in a similar boat so if we stick together we may be able to get into shape and meet our goals. That part I’m happy about. Jamie coined a name for our new club: Club Half As Small As You. Nice ring, eh?
This challenge is intended to be a place of motivation. Please do your part to help keep track of the other participants to see how they’re doing. If you see them eating a web donut, smack it out of their hand. If you see them on Twitter too much (you know who you are), refuse to read their enlightening yet sporadic updates until you’re sure they’re Twittering from a treadmill.
Your first assignment is to assess the situation (your kickin bodies) and then check back here to let us all know what you’ve found. Details to include are listed below. You can include as much or as little information about yourself as you want. I don’t need your current weight or a picture of you in your skivvies but if you want to share, be my guest. Clothing is not optional though, so please keep the graphic photos to yourself. Unless you’re Patrick Dempsey then by all means, share away!
Here are the rules (Which I am totally modeling after Sprite’s Keeper since her weekly Spin Cycle is so awesome and well organized. Thanks Jen!):
1. Each Monday, I will post a list of all of the participants and their weekly stats. Along with this, I will post a guest post from a motivated participant and how that person is working to reach their fitness goals. If nobody decides to step up, you’ll have to read an update on me and how I’m doing. Just as soon as I finish my Egg McMuffin.
2. If you want to participate, great! If you don’t poo on you! Pick a date and time each week to weigh or measure yourself. I’ve found that doing this at the same time each week helps me stay on track. Put your information in my blog’s comments section so that I can add you to the weekly update post. This should include: Weight and/or Measurements, short term goal, long term goal and one sentence about how things are going for you.
3. The following Monday, I will post my weekly success (or failure) story and also the stats of everyone participating. These links will ALWAYS be posted under the same weekly title of “Club Half As Small As You: Weekly Updates” and will ALWAYS be posted on Monday mornings.
First Assignment (Anyone starting late in the game can catch up by starting here):
Write and publish a blog post on your site detailing the following information:
1. What motivates you and why do you want to do this challenge? It may be that you’re training to run a 10K or merely just to be able to walk to the mailbox and not break a sweat (don’t worry, I fall on this end of the spectrum).
2. What is your long term goal? Do you want to lose weight or just tone your body. Are you trying to fit into your old prom dress for your upcoming reunion? Do you want to want to “pump yourself up” like Hans and Frans? Spill it.
3. What is your long term weight loss goal? You don’t need to tell us your current weight, just how much you’d like to eventually lose. This can be in weight or inches. Jamie and I have a sewing tape measure that we use for our weekly measurements. We got ours in the sewing section at Wal-Mart, if you look at Target, you won’t find it.
4. What tools are available to you? Treadmill, elliptical, jogging stroller, ThighMaster, Trampoline. Maybe a rabid dog to chase the weight off?
5. How often can you exercise? Be realistic here but try to make as much time as possible. This might include stepping AWAY from the blog for a couple of nights a week. I know, *gasp*. I’m crying on the inside too but it needs to be done. Fatty. Ok, that was mean and it won’t happen again. I promise.
6. What do you plan on doing? Beer curls, switch the remote to the other hand for a few days, start smoking more. Maybe you want to actually exercise and start eating better? I hear that never works but go ahead and try if you want.
7. What has worked for you in the past? Let us in on your secrets, what has worked for you before and how you went about it. We won’t tell.
Jamie and I always like to start any new diet by getting our fill of crap and then going cold turkey. Probably not the healthiest route but I’m suggesting that we take the rest of this week off to finish the Captain Crunch in our cupboards and lounge on the couch with our remotes in hand. We will report back Monday and link up to our findings so we can finally get this party started! (BTW, I’m trying to talk Jamie into joining the challenge but he doesn’t want to comment on my blog. Wimp!) This is all new to me so I’ll be figuring things out and tweaking as I go. Let’s try to tackle this together and get our asses into shape, shall we?
Please post the first week’s assignment on your blog (by Monday) and link up in the comments here. If you don’t have a blog and still want to participate, post your entire story in my comments. I dare you. After your first week, it will get much easier since you will only need to post your stats in the comments over here. Go get your junk food on and get prepared for the upcoming fitness. The game starts Monday.
UPDATED: Check out the contestants here.